About the literacy Forum
The literacy Forum fulfills a long-felt need to mobilize
the literacy organizations and specifically bring together literacy NGOs
to work for the promotion of the cause of Education For All in Pakistan.
Unfortunately the government despite considerable activities has fallen
short of its commitments to achieve the National Plan Of Action targets
set in pursuance of UNESCO led World Education Forum Goals declared at
Dakar Senegal in year 2000.With the result that in addition to millions
of out-of-school children about 55 million Pakistani of age 10 and above
today are utterly illiterate.
There has been eloquent affirmation of the pressing need for literacy in
Pakistan in speeches and statements made at the highest level but the
commitment has not been translated into action.Because inadequate financial
allocations only a limited number of literacy centres have been opened.
The education budget in Pakistan is about 2 % of GDP while the minimum
advocated by UNESCO is 4 %. many South Asian countries spend more than 4 %.
The Literacy Forum by polling the ideas and resources of a large number of
NGOs hopefully will help government and other agencies to fulfill the promise
of literate Pakistan and to meet the Education For All, targets.
The Forum will also act as network for exchange of ideas and experiences and
help build up literacy NGOs capacity.
Vision: A Literate Pakistan and Education for All
Mission: To Pool the strength and capablities of wroking
for Literacy to Lobby for education for all,act as a pressure group on
Government and network to build NGO s' Capacity
- To hold perdiocal forum meetings.
- To exchange the ideas and experiences.
- To develop a programme of publications including
newsletters,A journal and research reports.
- To hold workshops,seminars and conferences
- To enhance linkages with concerned Government,
National and International,organization including donors.
- To keep a watch on government Policies and programmes
and implementations and communicates forum 's view and suggestions to
government and international agencies.
- To develop relations with the media including TV
The Literacy Forum Members
- Amen Society
- Nirali Kitabein
- Literate Pakistan (Jugnoo)
Self Help Enterpreneur (SHE)
- Pakistan Girl Guide Association
- Hameed Khowaja Trust
- Action Aid
- IER Department of the Punjab University,Lahore
- Escorts Foundation
- Pakistan Society for Plan Parenthood
- Yes Pakistan
- System Foundation Faisalabad
- Child Care Foundation(CCF)
- Red Pakistan
- Escorts Foundation